How to Get Your Real Estate License

The RIAR Education staff is on hand Monday – Friday to help you with any questions you may have about registration and pre-license classes, the process of obtaining your license or any questions you may have about continuing education once you receive a real estate license.  

About Pre-License Classes

In Rhode Island, whether you are trying to obtain a brokers or sales persons license, it is required to take a 45-hour sales pre-license education course.  Entry into the real estate profession takes preparation. As with other professions, licensing is required. Licensing requirements vary across the nation but all states require prospective salespeople and brokers to pass written examinations. Questions generally cover the fundamentals of real estate transactions and laws affecting the sale and rental of real estate.

All Pre-License classes held through RIAR include the required 3 hour Agency Law class mandated by the state.    Each of our experienced instructors are all active REALTORS ® with extensive experience and in-depth knowledge of the real estate profession.

>> View Pre-License Calendar

Differences between Sales Person, Realtor and Broker

A licensed sales person is a real estate professional who has taken and passed all required real estate classes, have met the state requirements and passed the real estate licensing exam. It is the most encompassing of the titles, since it is the starting point real estate professionals in Rhode Island.

A realtor is a real estate agent who is a member of the National Association of Realtors. To become a member, a real estate agent has joined a local board of realtors and has agreed to abide by the association’s standards and uphold the code of ethics.

A real estate broker has met the state requirements either with continued real estate education OR worked under a broker for two years (with completed transactions) and have passed the real estate brokers exam. Real estate brokers can work as independent real estate agents or have other agents working for them.

The biggest distinction between the three is that a broker can work on his or her own, while a sales person or realtor must work under a licensed broker in order to hold an active license with the state.

>> About Sales Pre-License

>> About Broker Pre-License

>> View Pre-License Calendar

>> View Broker Pre-License Calendar