Get your real estate career started today!
Find success, happiness and financial security with a rewarding career in the real estate industry with RI REALTORS®. As a leader in all things real estate, the RI REALTORS® Professional Development Center is the first point of contact for information on pre-license courses, licensing exam resources and more.
How do I Earn a Real Estate License?
All Rhode Island real estate professionals are licensed by the Department of Business Regulation (DBR). The requirements for earning a real estate license are as follows:
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must complete a minimum of 45 hours of Sales Pre-license training
- Must complete a 3-hour Lead Paint Hazards/Awareness Course
- Must complete 3 hours of Agency Law training
- Must pass the state licensing exam
- Upon successfully passing the examination, candidates must submit a criminal history record to the R.I. Department of Business Regulation.
- Pass a criminal background check.
The RI REALTORS® Professional Development Center is centrally located in Warwick, RI with several classrooms located throughout the state for your convenience. Courses are offered on various days and times.
6 Steps to Starting a Successful Career in Real Estate:
Step 1: Register and Complete 45 hours of Sales Pre-license Training
- RI REALTORS® 45-hour Pre-license courses are offered as bi-weekly, 3-hour, morning or evening sessions. Weekend accelerated sessions are also available. To get started, view details on available courses, or visit our Sales Pre-License Online Registration page.
$25 discount available for sponsored students. Discount not available for online registrations. See Step 5 below for more information.
Step 2: Complete a 3-hour Lead Paint Hazards/Awareness Course
- COST: Student Price $30 – To receive the student price, register by phone at 401.432.6903 or in person at RI REALTORS®.
Step 3: Complete a 3-hour Agency Law Training Course
- COST: Included in Pre-license fee. Check the course schedule for upcoming classes.
Step 4: Schedule yoursRhode Islandlicensing exam
- COST: $70 – Exams must be scheduled with Pearson VUE either by phone (1-800-274-8922) or online. The licensing exam consists of two exams, a general test and a state test.
Step 5: Choose the Right Brokerage
- The RI REALTORS® Professional Development Center provides each Pre-license student with a list of REALTOR® member offices that are willing to take on new licensees.
- You do not need to know what firm you will go with once licensed prior to starting the Sales Pre-license course; however, students sponsored by a firm prior to registering may be eligible for a $25.00 discount in tuition if sponsored by a real estate office that is a member of the Rhode Island Association of REALTORS©.
- To receive this sponsored pricing, the principal broker of the office (no exceptions) must provide a letter/email stating that they are sponsoring the first and last name of student. This MUST be received prior to or at the time of registration.
- Submit sponsor letters to email@example.com or fax: 401-785-3879.
Sponsored students MUST register by phone or in person at the RI REALTORS® Professional Development Center to be eligible for the $25 discount.
Step 6: Join the REALTOR® Organization!
- The National Association of REALTORS® and its state and local boards are committed to providing members with opportunities and resources to enhance professional skills and maximize earnings. In addition, only members of the RI Association of REALTORS can market their listings through State-Wide MLS and its consumer property search site, RILiving.com.
- How do I become a REALTOR®? Ask your broker to which local association of REALTORS® he or she belongs, then contact that local REALTOR® Association for an application and additional instructions.
Contact the RI REALTORS® Professional Development Center at 401-785-9898, option 1 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.